Thursday, March 5, 2009

Days of the Week

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sun-day

Sang the days of the week to several tunes, read the days of the week in numerous books; that's what kindergarten teachers do...or at least did... when I was teaching.

My 4 year old grand-daughter has known the days of the week for eons it seems, and has incredible calendar skills.  That was eerily apparent in our conversation last night. I asked about the birthday party she had gone to for her friend, and she described the fun they had at McDonald's.  Thinking she would relate to "friends", I mentioned that I had been skiing with my friends earlier in the day.  "Nonna!" she exclaimed...interrupting my sentence..."you don't ski on Wednesday,  you ski on Tuesday!" Nonplussed, I said I like to ski with my friends whenever I can...but I was a bit stunned that in Texas she was so aware of my activities in New York. Listening on the other phone, Tom couldn't hide his surprise. After the conversation he mused that at 4 he probably didn't even know days, months or much else!

So...should it be a surprise that I got a phone call this afternoon thanking me for the perfect timing of the box that had arrived as they returned, sobbing, from pre-school? Why so sad? No surprise once I was informed that the crisis is that next week is Spring Break...NO SCHOOL...horrors! 

Yes, she is something else. She has informed her mother that if she "thinks hard enough, she can probably know everything...but I still don't know how to tell time, or....." So...there are a few things she doesn't know! 

She knows Tuesday isn't Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment